The following activities are available without reservation:
Hiking and Fishing
While our camp is closed to campers and retreat groups this summer, you are still welcome to visit. Take a long walk, hike one of our many trails or fish in the lake. We have waived the Holmes fishing permit fee for the summer, as our office is working on reduced hours*. So hang the ‘gone fishing’ sign and enjoy some quiet time out by the lake. We do ask that you park in designated areas, only fish where it is easily accessible from the road – avoiding any beach areas or docks and remember it is catch and release only. Boating is prohibited. Please make sure you do have a current NYS Fishing License.
When you arrive for hiking or fishing, please contact Bryan at 845-235-6458, to let him know you are on the site. Remember to social distance if you come upon others. While on site, please do not enter any buildings or cross any construction fences or caution tape! If you are unsure of your path, please ask Bryan for guidance.
*Typically we would need a copy of your drivers license, current fishing license and a $10 fee to obtain a fishing permit for the camp.
Hikes throughout the site – HOLMES TRAIL MAP
- Lemon Squeeze – located on the Abandoned Railroad, on the Yellow Trail
- Gazebo at Hostetter Point – can be reached taking the Blue Trail from the office, the Red Trail from the Westminster Lake dam or the gravel path just past Westminster Lake dam
- Peter Kent Farm – on Red Trail, between the loop of Orange Trail
- Enjoy the peace and prayer at our Labyrinth (on the Orange Trail, between Agape and Peter Kent Farm)
- Meditate and worship in our outdoor Chapel in the woods (on the Orange Trail between Hayden/Steidl/Cabin 1 and Peter Kent Farm)
In addition, there are other activities to enjoy – but please remember to social distance and be respectful to other visitors.
Play ball (basketball, volleyball, soccer) at Heckscher Field
Play 9 Square, by the Lodge
Play GaGa Ball, by Cabin 1
The following activities are available with prior reservation and are an additional fee. They require Holmes staff to lead them.
Swimming and Boating .
Waterfront Activities are available May through September.
participants must be at least 10 years old, unless accompanied one-on-one with parent/adult
- Team building and Group Initiatives
- Low Ropes – Participants must be at least 8 years old, unless accompanied one-on-one with parent/adult
Build a fire at one of the campfire circles around the site – sing some songs, enjoy some s’mores. (Free of charge. If your group wants to have a campfire, please let us know in advance. There should be one group member who is chosen to speak with a staff member about fire safety protocol and be prepared to be with the fire throughout the event. That same person is responsible for extinguishing the fire at the end of the event. Campfires are only allowed in designated areas. There is a period in the spring when fires are not permitted by New York State. The state may effect burn bans at other times depending on weather conditions. There should be no fires on windy days.)