These unique experiences will allow you to meet incredible people, help a community in need achieve its goals and be forever changed.
Summer Youth Trips
July 14-21, 2018 OR August 4-12, 2018
High School students, we are partnering with Bridges to Community to host two volunteer trips to Nicaragua! These unique experiences will allow you to meet incredible people, help a community in need achieve its goals and be forever changed.
Each trip will provide participants an opportunity to work on a sustainable development project while living and working with the community being served. Groups will also be able to explore the rich cultural traditions and natural beauty of Nicaragua.
Each trip will a group of up to 15 people, aged 15-18; parents are also welcome. Each youth will received 30 hours of community service for the work they will complete wile in Nicaragua.
Here is a sample itinerary:
Bridges to Community Trips allow students the opportunity to explore a new part of the world, experience a different culture, make long lasting connections, all while working hard on a sustainable community development project. Students sleep and eat in the community and work alongside community members, enabling them to have a truly meaningful experience. While each trip is unique, the below itinerary will give you a taste of what you can expect from a Bridges to Community Alternative Break Trip.
Day 1: Group Arrives
The group will eat together, have orientation, and get some rest in a hotel.
Day 2: Exploring
- Visit one of the larger cities of the country and learn about the country’s past and present
- Lunch at a traditional restaurant
- Head to the community where the group will be working
- Welcome Ceremony in the community
- Dinner in the community
- Meet the local masons and the beneficiary family of the project
- Get started on the project!
- Free time (play with the children at the school, start up a soccer or baseball game, or just read and rest)
- Dinner and Reflection
Day 4: Cultural Immersion
- Work in the morning
- Cultural Break in the afternoon: A variety of cultural activities await volunteers in the You might tour one of the community members’ farms, learn how to milk a cow (or a goat!), visit a hatchery and collect some eggs, grind corn and make fresh tortillas, and more!
- Dinner and reflection
Day 5: Work Hard and Play Hard
- Work on the project: more than halfway done!
- Cultural Break in the afternoon: A variety of cultural activities await volunteers in the You might tour one of the community members’ farms, learn how to milk a cow (or a goat!), visit a hatchery and collect some eggs, grind corn and make fresh tortillas, meet with a local artisan cooperative, and more!
- Dinner and reflection with members of the community
Day 6: More Exploring
- Work on the project: last day!
- Explore a nearby town or village, visit a market, or tour a local museum in the afternoon
- Cultural Exchange Celebration Night (get ready to perform!)
- Dedication Ceremony of the project with the community
- Lunch at a restaurant
- Educational Sightseeing: Visit a local beach, a colonial town, a crater lake, a cloud forest, and more. Each country has so many beautiful places to explore!
Day 8: Group Departs